AdSense

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Grilled Squid

Do you like bbq stuff? I do! Ohh ... I missed the BBQ Stingray at my parent's place. You know I can't take spicy food but I just love the BBQ Stingray there. Each time I eat that, my face with be as red as a cooked crab and my face wet with perspiration. :P BBQ squid is one of the dishes I will order sometimes. Now occasionally, I will do it at home. It's so much cheaper. ;P

Ingredients:
  • 5 medium Squid
  • 1 Banana Leaf, optional
  • 1 Shallot, sliced
  • 1 Lime
Chilli Paste:
  • 6 Fresh Red Chilli
  • 12 Dried Chilli
  • 8 Shallot
  • 6 clove Garlic
  • 1 stalk Lemongrass
  • 1/2 tablespoon Belacan
  • 3 petals from Pink Ginger Flower Bud
  • 1 teaspoon brown sugar
  • Salt to taste
How to do it:
  1. Remove soft bone and innards of squids.
  2. Cut squids into rings.
  3. Set aside.
  4. Grind all ingredients for chilli paste, except for sugar and salt, together.
  5. Heat wok with 1 teaspoon of oil.
  6. Stir fry chilli paste till fragrant.
  7. Add sugar and salt to taste.
  8. Leave to cool.
  9. Add in squid to marinade for at least 30 minutes.
  10. Place squid with chilli paste on banana leaf.
  11. Grill in preheated oven at 180C for 15 minutes or till cooked.
  12. Remove and top with fresh shallot sliced and drizzle with lime jucie.
  13. Serve immediately.
Note: You can pan grill if you do not have an oven. If you like it hotter, grinde in some chilli padi to the chilli paste. The pink ginger flower adds a pleasant aroma. If you can't find it, leave it out.

9 comments:

  1. I just absolutely love this type of food with the heat from the chilli and the soft chew from the squid. lovely, the only reason I don't do it often in my house is that no one else eats it, just me, but every now and then I do do it just for me. thx for sharing this lovely recipe. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! mouth watering dish.Nice click. I love spicy food. Urs is the perfect for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so delicious! Reminds me of home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love this type of grilling.... and the sauce... but ijust dont like squid... to me squid = bubble gum....

    it took me hours to really chew a squid...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow.. i love this dish!!! esp the gravy on the steam rice... :) Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks FANTASTIC. I love spicy food. This is making me drool badly, haha :)~

    ReplyDelete
  7. I somehow love your recipes... simple and fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only had this fried, but it looks delicious served up with these savory ingredients :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you everyone for your comments.

    Jolene, the squid will only be "bubblegum" if it's too 'old' or over cooked. Try getting small squid. They will be more tender.

    ReplyDelete